Home Buying Basics
Not sure how to get started on your home purchase? These articles will explain basic real estate concepts and help answer common questions first time home buyers ask. If you’ve got a burning question we’ve not answered, send us a message and we’ll post the answer for everyone’s benefit!
- How Much Should I Spend on My Next Home?
- Is Now a Good Time to Buy?
- Knowing if it’s Time to Rent or Buy
- 10 Things to Look for When Bargain House Hunting
- 4 Problems to Anticipate When Buying in a Gentrifying Area
- Four Tips for Buying a Home During the Doldrums of Summer
- Home Inspections Protect Against Big Immediate Expenses
- Why Should Appurtenance Matter to Homebuyers?
- Common Forms of Property Ownership in the US
- 3 Reasons to Buy a Home This Holiday Season
- Stepping into the Unknown: What Repairs Can Cost You, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
Mortgage Loans 101
Even if you’ve got a good plan for navigating the real estate portion of your home purchase, mortgages can be daunting. Learn about basic mortgage concepts in these articles so you’ll be a well-informed consumer when you’re ready to buy your next home. Mortgage laws and programs change every year, but we’ll keep you up to date.
- Mortgage Interest vs. APR
- Understanding Mortgage Points
- How Mortgage Amortization Works
- The Difference Between a Mortgage Broker and a Banker
- 12 Ways to Reduce Your Mortgage Payment
- New Mortgage Rules in 2014
- Understanding Truth in Lending
- 9 Things You’ll Learn From Your Home’s Appraisal
- What to Do When Your Appraisal Runs Into Problems
Types of Mortgage Loans
There’s no such thing as a one size fits all mortgage, that’s why there are so many different programs. We’ll explore the major types of mortgages in this section so that you can choose the product that’s perfect for your family. Read up on Conventional, FHA, VA and other mortgage programs here.
- Comparing FHA, VA, Conventional, Jumbo and USDA Loans
- 10 Reasons to Choose a Conventional Mortgage Loan
- 6 Ways to Prepare for Your Conventional Loan Application
- What are the Pros and Cons of FHA Loans?
- FHA HAWK is a Perfect Solution for First Time Buyers
- 5 Things to Know About FHA 203(k) Loans
- The Pros and Cons of New, Easier Loan Qualifications for FHA Loans
- You May Be Eligible for a VA Mortgage: Alternative Forms of Eligibility
- Assumable Mortgages Aren’t Outdated Options
Qualifying for a Mortgage
Sometimes you get lucky and mortgage qualifications are simple, but you can hedge your bets and make sure your approval is smooth with a little insider advice. Educate yourself about issues surrounding mortgage qualification and you’ll be fully prepared when you make mortgage application.
- Basics you should know about your FICO Score
- FICO Score 9 Recalculations and You
- The Qualifying Conundrum: Getting Your First Mortgage
- How Does Debt to Income Affect Your Ability to Get a Mortgage?
- Getting a Mortgage — Assets and Reserves Requirements
- How to Overcome Common Barriers to Mortgage, Part 1: The Public Record
- How to Overcome Common Barriers to Mortgage, Part 2: Your Credit Report
- How to Overcome Common Barriers to Mortgage, Part 3: Other Stuff
- Don’t Let Student Loan Debt Derail Your Mortgage Plans
- Options for Re-entering the Market After Foreclosure
Buying a home can be an expensive journey, you’d better be ready. These articles will explain the different types of expenses involved in a home purchase, as well as how different products can benefit you. We’ll make sure to let you know what items are optional if you’re trying to buy a house on a thin dime.
The Closing Table
Your homeownership dreams are almost a reality, but you’ve still got to face the closing table. It can be a terrifying last step, but we hope to pull back the curtain on that last hurdle with articles like these on the closing process. It’s really very simple, so take a breath and read on.
Home Ownership Issues
Owning a home is a big commitment, one that sometimes you’ll find you’re not really prepared to handle alone. Don’t worry, we’re here to help you make those big decisions, find a way out of a troubling financial pickle or simply pay off your mortgage faster.
- Nine Vital Things Every Homeowner Needs to Know About Income Taxes
- 10 Ways to Save Your Troubled Mortgage
- Guide to Refinancing Your Mortgage
- 6 Good Reasons to Refinance Your Mortgage
- Paying Off Your Mortgage with Extra and Bi-Weekly Payments
- Home Equity Loans Aren’t Guaranteed Financial Disasters
- Improving Your Chances for a HELOC
Special Series: The Home Buying Process
Take a trip with our own Kristi Waterworth through the home buying process. Experience the emotional real estate roller coaster without having to spend any of your own money. This little series is packed with hints and tips for every stage of home buying.
- The Home Buying Process, Part One: Panic and Make an Offer
- The Home Buying Process, Part Two: Survival Tips for Buying a Home with Your Spouse
- The Home Buying Process, Part Three: Gotta Love Loan Applications
- The Home Buying Process, Part Four: Home Inspections
- The Home Buying Process, Part Five: Mortgage Limbo
- The Home Buying Process, Part Six: The Closing Table Polka
Don’t go into a home purchase alone! Take these tools with you! We’ve designed some easy and intuitive calculators to make it easy to estimate your future payment, explore “what if” scenarios and share your results with your friends, family and even your Realtor. While you’re at it, make sure to download our android calculator app for mortgage calculation on the go.